Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Running in All Fifty States

Many people have on their "bucket list" to visit all 50 states. At age 56, I entered into the state of Nebraska for my 50th state visited. I really never thought about it until it occurred to me a couple of years ago that I only need four states. In 2010, we went to New England and I picked up Vermont and Maine. In 2011, we flew to Denver and drove up to North Dakota and back down to Nebraska completing the goal of visiting all 50 states. Cathy will complete her quest for 50 a little later this year. I wonder how many couples in America have visited all 50 states?

I am now admitting that I have a goal of running in an event in all 50 states. Realistically, it will be very difficult for me to do, but I have placed it on my "bucket list." I enjoy traveling and I enjoy running so it's a match. This weekend, Cathy and I are flying to Milwaukee to run in the Hank Aaron Trail 5k. Wisconsin will be my 12th state running in an event. That's not too bad considering I started 2 years ago. I chose this particular race because I was a fan of Hank Aaron when the Braves moved to Atlanta from Milwaukee in 1966. In fact, my nickname was "Hammer" in those years. I can't wait to get the t-shirt!

The folks at the Hank Aaron Trail have asked me to speak for a few minutes about my weight loss experience and how I utilized the trail here in Forsyth County. They are promoting healthy and fit living and want to demonstrate what can happen if someone will get out there and walk, bike or run on their trail. I am excited about the opportunity to briefly tell my story. I am also looking forward to running on the Hank Aaron Trail through Milwaukee.

The quest for running in all 50 states continues. I have run a race in Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Maine, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois and Oregon. If the Lord lets me live and helps me live in good health, I have many years left to run. I am thinking about doing 5 states per year. I wish the folks at the "Four Corners" would sponsor a race. That would be pretty cool to knock out four states with one run. I ran in the Flying Pig 10k in Cincinnati that crossed over to Kentucky giving me two states with one run. I am looking for more of those types of races.

Why am I doing this? Because in order to stay fit, I believe that you have to find something fun to do. If it's not fun, it's work and most will quit. I love to run. It's what I do. I run for freedom. Freedom from unhealthy and unfit living. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment