Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Injuries Are Part Of The Deal

I am in the midst of dealing with my second hamstring injury. Earlier this year, it was the right leg. I nursed it back in time to run a 10k in Portland, Oregon in May. Oregon was my 11th state to run a race. Over the last month, I have been nursing a hamstring strain in my left leg. It caused me to miss my third Peachtree Road Race, which was really disappointing. As I write, I am very close to running again. I was close a couple of weeks ago and tweaked it again, extending the healing time. I am being very careful not to run too quickly now. My next race is in Milwaukee, WI on August 11. I am hopeful to be back in full swing by then.

Injuries don't just happen to old guys trying to run. They happen to seasoned athletes all the time. Injuries are just a part of the deal. The worst part of an injury, besides causing you to miss an event, is the mental part. Running is a mental sport to begin with. It is very therapeutic. If I am feeling down, I always feel better after a good, long run. I think it is a gift from God that some are not aware. So, when I am going through an injury and not running, it is easy to get down mentally. I have to keep reminding myself that great athletes get injured and recover and I will too. Injuries are part of the deal.

Looking at the positive side, it is extremely hot right now in North Georgia. If I had to choose a time to be away from the sport, it is now. I am looking forward to the fall when the running season really picks up. I have scheduled one race in the fall so far and look to add 3 more states giving me 15 states, Lord willing. I have lots to look forward to in my new life, running for freedom. Freedom from an unhealthy life! Yes, even with injuries, it is worth it. After all, injuries are part of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment