Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 in Review

2013 was a great year in many ways for me. The greatest thing that happened was the birth of my 2nd grandchild, Jonah, on February 27.  My first grandchild, Finley, was born a year earlier on February 16. They are the joys of my life! Jonah is such a sweet baby. He always has a smile and he has stolen my heart.

                                                 Jonah at Christmas 2013

2013 was a great year for running. It started of slowly because I was battling a hamstring strain. It eventually mended and I was injury free the rest of the year. I have a lifetime goal of running in events in all 50 states. I don't have a time deadline. I just want to do it before I depart this earth. I added 8 states to my list giving me 20 states in which I have run in an event. Here are my races from 2013:

1/5      Jackson, MS             Half Marathon
1/6      New Orleans, LA      9k
2/2      Alpharetta, GA            5k
2/23    Roswell, GA                 5k
4/6      Cleveland, TN              5k
4/13    Cleveland, TN              5k
4/20    Cincinnati, OH           5k
5/11     Cumming, GA            10k
5/26    Boston, MA              Half Marathon
6/16    San Francisco, CA Half Marathon
6/22    Fairfield, CT             5k
6/23    Wilmington, DE     5k
7/4      Atlanta, GA                  10k
7/20    Cumming, GA             5k Trail Run
8/10    Duluth, GA                  5k
8/17    Alpharetta, GA            5k
8/31    Pocatello, ID            10k
9/2      Bear Lake, UT         5k
9/7      Alpharetta, GA            5k
11/2    Cleveland, TN              5k
11/9    Savannah, GA             Half Marathon
 

What a year. I will be hard pressed to match 2013. The good thing is that I don't have to. It all comes down to staying healthy and fit. I have very few goals in 2014. One goal is to complete another book I am working on that will guide others to living a healthy and fit lifestyle. I hope to have it finished in the first quarter of the year. The name of the book will be "Transforming the Temple." As far as running events, I would love to run in 5 additional states. That would put me halfway to 50 by age 60. My running routine needs to increase a bit. I ran around 800 miles in 2013 and that needs to be closer to 1,000. Here's to a great 2014 for you and your family. Happy New Year!


1 comment:

  1. Nice entry, Jonah seems happy it is Christmas. But that is the kid there and in us. Watching from the outside, I have always had a concern about your knees starting at such a late date, but seems you are doing quite well. You have many admirers, plenty in your own family, I am sure. I know your dad died early. I thought my dad had lived a long life, passing at 69, but now that I am 75 I know he died young.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete