Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Happy National Running Day!

I didn't even know there was a National Running Day but I'm glad there is. There is a day for most everything else and certainly there should be for the world's oldest sporting event. The question is being asked "why do you run?" I immediately thought of my blog name. I run for freedom.

I still consider myself a novice even though I have run about 40 races in 15 states including 4 half marathons and 1 full marathon. My first race was a 5k on Thanksgiving of 2009. I have probably run about 4,000 miles since then.  Obviously, I love to run. There have been many challenges of injury but that just comes with it. Athletes have injuries but we never give up. Athletes have challenges but we never give in. No terrorist will ever stop us from running

I run for freedom. I am free from being over-weight. I am free from an unhealthy lifestyle. I feel more free when I am running than anytime in my life. My mind is free to hear spiritually and to refresh mentally. The running course is my sanctuary. Running reboots my competitive spirit even at age 58.

I am so thankful for my daughters who encouraged me to walk and run as I was losing weight 4 years ago. Had I not done a 5k, I may never have known the joys of running like I do now. The t-shirts are cool, the medals are neat and the bibs I have saved are great mementos. But better than all of those things is the feeling of freedom I have when I run. So, on this National Running Day of June 5, 2013, I run for freedom. Let's go on a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment